The Important Bicorn hat worn in later life by Lt. Gen Lord James Hay
The bicorn dates to circa 1840’s and is a regulation General Officers bicorn worn by Hay upon his promotion to the rank of Lt. General. His calling card is sewn on to the silk liner on the inside of the bicorn.
The bicorn retains much of its beaver skin knap and is 10” deep with gold bullion tassels at each end and a twisted loop of bullion terminating with a General Officers button at the bottom. The hat retains its buff leather sweatband with a silk liner and is completed with a 10” white over red falling swan feather plume.
The hat and plume are complimented by its metal carrying tin with a somewhat curious plume tin which has been joined to the bicorn tin.
At the time of Waterloo Lord James Hay was a Captain in the 1st Foot Guards and was seconded to be Aide- De-Camp to Sir Charles Colville. Hay joined the Guards on 27th June 1811 and is not to be confused with Lord Hay, an Ensign in the 1st Foot Guards who was adjutant to Lord Saltoun and who was killed at Quatre Bras.
A nice early Victorian example of a general Officers bicorn worn with the full dress coatee.